Tag Archives: shed

August/September Wrap Up

Since Backyard Carnival in late July I haven’t had any big projects on the go in the backyard. Instead I’ve been focusing on putting some small finishes to other projects and having a good old tidy up.

The Shed
Tidy shedIn August I finally got around to tidying the shed! If you saw this old pic-post you’ll know the shed was in a very bad state. Over a couple of days I emptied and reorganised, even Blue Petering some empty bottles into tool storage. I have to say this was one of the most cathartic jobs I’d done in a while – and one I’d been putting off for almost a year! Going in the shed is now much more enjoyable and has a sense of satisfaction. I wonder if I can keep it tidy this time…

Painting
In late Autust I gave the fence panels a makeover with some Ronseal fence treatment. Then in early September I painted Wood Store #2 (gallery), then the bike shed (gallery) and Wood Store #1 (gallery).

Like tidying the shed these minor jobs brought big aesthetic changes and breathed some much needed fresh air into the garden.

Duck Coop
After procrastinating for quite some time on the subject of the duck coop surround I eventually opted to lay some decorative bark. I had initially wanted to pave around the coop but this would have been more costly and time consuming than I could manage, so I bought the bark and the results were surprisingly pleasing. I’m not sure paving would have looked half as nice now the bark is down!

I also finished painting the duck house and coop (a job I started months ago!) and again the results are both pleasing and satisfying. (Gallery)Duck coop

Lighting
One of my main reasons for trying to tie up these loose ends and make the garden that bit more respectable is Bonfire Night (Guy Fawkes Night). Here we host a big party for Bonfire Night (or Bommy Neet as we say in this part of the world) and each year as summer begins to wane my focus shifts on hosting this party.

IMG_3823With that in mind I finally installed some better garden lighting. I replaced my single, harsh floodlight with several soft bulkheads that make for a much nicer ambience. The picture here is of the garden entrance where previously visitors would have been dazzled with a 500w floodlight pointing directly at them!

Jobs I never get around to #341

My shed is so messy I once sent in a search party to look for tools…..and they never returned!

Milk carton screw and nail storage

Had a tough morning battling with my compost tumbler project so I came inside to de-stress. However, I couldn’t sit still so made a start on upcycling some empty milk cartons I’d been saving. Not so much a DIY Project as a Blue Peter task, but rolling out the “sticky backed plastic” provided some much needed respite from physically and mentally wrestling with the tumbler, and at least now I can feel like I’ve done something productive today! That said, I’m still a long way from having a tidy shed!

What I used:
An empty milk carton
A picture hook

Time taken:
2 minutes

How-to (Slideshow):

This slideshow requires JavaScript.