A couple of months ago I had the idea of using pallet wood as a cheap lawn edging solution. Lawn edging is something I’d wanted for a while but with around 80m to cover the cost was always prohibitive.
When I first thought of using pallets I tested out some self made stakes along a metre stretch and really liked the results. So, for the last two days I’ve been making hundreds of pallet wood stakes and making my way around the lawn. I think the result is great!
The wood is untreated so it won’t last forever but since pallet wood is free and these stakes are so easy to install I didn’t consider the benefit to be worth the cost and effort of treating it.
The ducks are being weaned outside now so I thought I’d provide them with a watering hole made from an unwanted bucket.
I dug out a hole to sink the bucket, then used some chicken wire and weed barrier to reinforce the sides of the hole so that the bucket can easily be removed for water changes.
Sinking the bucket keeps it stable and prevents it from being knocked over by thirsty ducks. The height of the exposed part of the bucket means they can dip their heads in for a drink and a wash without being able to climb in and soil the water.
The duck coop is starting to take shape now as the walls near completion. There’s still a long way to go overall but we’re a few more steps forward at least. It’s just a basic frame at the moment but a few more pieces of pallet wood will bulk it up as things progress.
Other things on the to-do list are:
- Gable type roof (I’ve no idea how to do this yet
- Sink the pool
- Lay some turf
- Finish painting the duck house
- Finish the retaining pallet and brick wall
- Make and hang a door
- Finish the surrounding area with paving or gravel
Here are the ducks enjoying an afternoon outside.
Yesterday I made this quick and easy addition to the Backyard Carnival project and my son and I gave it a test drive. Happy days 😀
A few weeks ago I saw a post on Pinterest that planted the seed of an idea to create some crazy golf holes in the backyard. Since then I’ve been mulling it over, letting the idea grow and keeping my eyes peeled for scrap or bargains that could contribute to the project.
Before too long I had some multi-coloured golf balls and a couple of putters my dad spotted at a second-hand shop. Then I found some rolls of green matting on offer at Lidl for a very reasonable £3 per metre. I even found myself in possession of a miniature windmill!
The project was definitely starting to come alive, but I still had no materials for the construction of the course itself. The trouble was I needed some very strong and sturdy sheet wood that would provide a smooth, flat playing surface and be able to take foot traffic. Thick chipboard or hardboard would be ideal, but that stuff is expensive!
Then I hit the jackpot, and it had been under my nose all along. At the industrial estate I visit when looking for scrap wood I saw a huge pile of sheet wood and pre-made wooden frames. I must have driven past it a dozen times, at least, but I’d always been so focused on sourcing pallets and cable reels that I never thought about it’s potential utility. When I saw it a few days ago I got that lightbulb moment and realised how great it would be for crazy golf.
As soon as I got home that day I set about turning the raw materials into a crazy golf hole. I kept the design simple for my first attempt (oh yes, there will be more): a bog-standard rectangle with the windmill to navigate around.
Scrap wood was used to raise the frames off the ground, then the sheet wood laid on top of this and fastened down with screws. I cut out a hole for the hole cup (half of an empty shampoo bottle) and then attached the “grass” with staples.
Attaching the hole cup to the underside of the base turned into a bit of a bodge job! It’s functional but I could do with coming up with a better solution for my next attempt. I drilled a few holes into the bottom of the bottle to prevent it filling with rain water. As an aside, my youngest daughter wasn’t too impressed with my bottle washing prowess when she stuck her hand in to retrieve her ball and it came out covered in shampoo! 😀
For the edges I painted some pallet boards in white (or rather, Cuprinol’s Pale Jasmine) and screwed them onto the sides. For the finishing touch I fashioned a flag out of an empty lawn feed container and attached it to a bamboo cane. The end result looks great and has proven very popular with the family! We’re all very excited about making some more!
A new addition to the container garden. This is such a simple and attractive planter.
Over the last couple of weeks we’ve been saving empty tin cans for a “Tin Can Alley” game but a visit to Pinterest led to me giving it a modern twist. The Pinterest version I saw used painted cans but I went for the easier option of printing glossy wraps which I just sellotaped around the cans.
The end result looks great, and although they won’t be weatherproof the ease with which they can be repaired or replaced makes this method a winner in my opinion.
The wraps I used are all here on Dropbox so if anyone wanted to they could make their own. They’ll need to be cut down to size as they are oversized in order to allow for different sized cans and for a bit of overlap when wrapping them around.
The kids tried ours out last night and absolutely loved it! 🙂
Over the last few days I’ve been installing a simple post and rail fence for my neighbour’s dogs. The rails and the gates are pallets and scrap wood, the posts are agricised pointed stakes purchased from a local timber merchant at £5 a piece.